Some places in pictures where Daniel JOËSSEL spent a few weeks, months or years.
1908 - 1917
His parents had been living in Audincourt since 1904, where his father was director of the Forges. Preceded by a sister and two brothers, Daniel was born on 15 July 1908.
The house, front on the Forges side
The house, front on the garden
The Forges' house: the 4 children have a bicycle.
It is in the parish church of Audincourt, the Immaculée Conception, sometimes also called the Forge church, that Daniel was baptised on 23 July and made his first communion on 20 April 1916.
He will return, years later, on 19 june 19 1935, a new church having been built, on the occasion of the blessing of the bells: he is godfather of the third bell.
Besançon Religious Week
Interior of the new church at the time of the blessing of the bells.
La Baule (sometimes Le Pouliguen) and the Nantes region are favourite holiday spots, every year, sometimes for several months. Villa Kerglaw overlooks the beach.
Amongst cousins on the beach: amongst them a future priest, two future monks and two grandparents of priests.
Pierre GALL – Paul NAU – Andrée JOËSSEL – Pierre NAU – Pierre JOËSSEL – Geneviève NAU – Yves JOËSSEL – Daniel JOËSSEL
Daniel JOËSSEL – Yves JOËSSEL – Jeanne HERGOTT – Andrée JOËSSEL
With his sister Andrée (1939 or 1940?)!
Daniel will be faithful to this family home until the end.
Saint Jean de Béthune
Daniel spent only one school year there (1918-1919), but an important one: that of his Solemn Communion, prepared with Father REGENT.
The teaching team in 1919 with Father REGENT
Saint John Alumni Association: https://www.ancienssaintjeanversailles.org/
Notre Dame School, Rue de Madrid
The Notre Dame School, Rue de Madrid, is run by the Jesuits. Daniel remained there until his baccalaureate. It was there that he developed his missionary zeal.
He was admitted to the French Pontifical Seminary, where he stayed for only one brief year.
He had, however, given full satisfaction.
Extract from the Student Ledger (Archives of the French Pontifical Seminary)
The French Pontifical Seminary today: https://www.seminairefrancais.org/
November 1928 - February 1929
His stay at Solesmes was even shorter than at the French Seminary.
He took the clothing on December 14, 1928... and became, for a few weeks, Brother Marie-Daniel. But Solesmes would be the place of several of his retreats, the last of which was in December1938.
Abbey Saint Pierre de Solesmes: the refectory
Solesmes Abbey today: https://www.abbayedesolesmes.fr/
Poitiers and Orléans
In Poitiers, he did his reserve officer school before being transferred to a regiment in Orléans. From Poitiers, he organised trips to Ligugé and as far as Lourdes.
« Leisure time » …
Carmelite seminary - Catholic Institute of Paris
The Carmelites today: https://www.paris.catholique.fr/la-crypte-des-carmes.html
The church of Saint Joseph of Carmelites: https://www.patrimoine-histoire.fr/Patrimoine/Paris/Paris-Saint-Joseph-des-Carmes.htm
Daniel JOËSSEL was sent in 1935 to the parish of Saint Geneviève in Asnières.
Saint Geneviève Church
When he arrived in Asnières, it had been a few months since Cardinal Verdier had blessed the first stone of the church of Notre Dame du Perpétuel Secours on 11 November 1934.
Two years later, on 4 October 1936, he returned for the blessing of the church.
In the meantime, for five years, Father JOËSSEL worked there, especially with young people, in the various movements and in the patronage.
The Saint Louis de Gonzague youth centre, rue de la Concorde in 1938
End of March - 10 May 1940
Cléty, where he will be lodged by the parish priest, Father RATHE, will be his last residence before the great German offensive of 10 May. He will render some services to the priest, who will confess and bless him before seeing him off.
Cléty, yesterday and today
From 1940 to 1949!
Prisoner and wounded, he died assisted by Father MASSART, in the house of the Brothers of the
Christian Schools, transformed into a hospital: Mont de la Salle. He was buried there.
Grave of Lieutenant JOËSSEL at Ciney
Asnières - Notre Dame du perpétuel Secours
Since 20 November 1949 ...
In 1949, the body of Father JOËSSEL was transferred to Notre Dame du perpétuel Secours for burial. Since his death, the parishioners remembered him every year during the anniversary mass. They can now also visit his grave.
On the 80th anniversary of his death, a mass was celebrated on the main altar.
It was only in 2021 that the church was consecrated by Bishop ROUGÉ.
Consecration Mass on 7 February 2021: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mor2wLAhO5c
For ease of viewing, set the map to full screen mode. To do this, click on the open square icon on the left of the map.
By moving the mouse over each red dot the name of the place is displayed.
By clicking on each red dot a small window opens and gives some information.
Don't hesitate to zoom in (by clicking on the + or by double-clicking directly on the map) as there are sometimes several places to consult in the same city.